Today was a beautiful day. A little cold in Georgia but nothing to complain about. I woke up very motivated and wanted to make something great. So I started early (like 8 am don’t judge me 🙂 ) Started my dough and let it rest and took my time with it.
So after yet another productive day and several movies( Secret Life of Pets, Trolls and Moana). I was able perfect my bread and really enjoy it. And nothing smells better then fresh bread especially since I have been limiting my carbohydrate intake.
Kitchen Aid Mixer
Oven at 350 degrees
Small pot that can go in the oven
11 x 17 Pan (add like 1 teaspoon or so of oil to the bottom or spray with a non stick spray. )
4 cups of AP flour ( bread flour would be better but I have always used All Purpose)
3 Tablespoons of Granulared Sugar
2 Tablespoons of Vegetable Oil
1 Packet of Yeast
1 cup of warm water (115-130 degrees f)
1-1/2 Tablespoons of Vegetable Shortening
1. In a bowl add the warm water and add sugar and stir. Add yeast to the mixture and let sit for 5 minutes.
When you first add the yeast
After 5 minutes
2. Take the shortening and put in the microwave for like 20 seconds to let it soften and then stir until it smooths and add to the yeast mixture.
3. Add oil. Add flour and salt to the yeast mix. Start mixing slow so the flour doesn’t go every where.
4. It will start forming into a ball.
5. Once formed, check by grabbing the dough, your fingers will leave an indent.
6. Smooth out into a ball. This took about 4 minutes on 3.
7. Let sit in the bowl covered with a towel and place in the microwave. Let sit for 2-3 hours.
8. Punch down. It will maintain your imprint.
9. Form it back into a ball. And let it sit for another hour in the microwave.
10. Punch down and remove and cut it into two pieces.
11. Form into two loaves.
12. Cut slices into the top of the bread.
13. Let rest while the oven warms up. Add the pot with about 2 cups of water warm up in the oven as well. When the oven beeps, put it in the oven .
14. Bake in oven for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and rolling over and hitting the bottom sounds hollow. Let sit for at least 10 minutes before cutting …. it should be an hour but I couldn’t resist.
For the Dipping Oil
3/4 -1 cup of olive oil
1/2 teaspoon of Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon of Garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon of Salt
Pinch of Oregano
Mix all together and let sit while bread is cooking .
End result !!!!